Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A Few Grievances

We once enjoyed driving, then we moved to Utah. We have lived in Provo since June and we have had problems with people on the road ever since. 

Grievance #1: Left Turn Lanes 
drivers here seem to have a misconceived notion that one needs to get into the left turn lane ridiculously early. For example, most, if not all, Utah drivers enter the left turn lane a good 30- 40 yards before the left lane opening. As you can see, this would cause problems with typical drivers who enter lanes at appropriate times. Many times, Johnathan and I have almost been hit by Utah drivers cruising down the suicide lane as if it were an additional lane of traffic. Bless the man who invented the rear view mirror.

Grievance #2: Turning Right
As eager as Utah drivers are to get into the suicide lane, it appears that they can care less about getting into the right turn lane. When turning right, a typical Utah driver fails to fully enter the right turn lane before turning right. Let us explain this grievance more fully. Lets say you are driving behind a person who is planning to turn right. Instead of that person easing into the right turn lane, they slow down to an almost complete stop and practically turn from the the ongoing traffic lane. Being the person behind this driver is both frustrating and dangerous. And us Kingsleys view safety as a number one priority on the road.

Grievance #3: Don't Pedestrians Have The Right Away?
It is not uncommon in Provo to see people walking in a crosswalk and see a car turing and coming way too close to hitting many people. I have both seen this situation and experienced it first hand. One time I was riding my bike and the light said to cross. So, naturally I started crossing the road. While crossing, someone started to turn left and practically killed me. The only way I could defend myself was to give the driver a much deserved dirty look and swerve out of the way. One time I saw a group of 10-15 people crossing the street and a man proceeded to turn left anyways. People were running and jumping out of the way like their life depended on it, which it did. I felt these poor pedestrians deserved to be defended, so, once again, I brought out the dirty look and even shook my head at the man driving. Lets just say if you are ever in Provo crossing a crosswalk, keep your eyes open for pedestrian killers. 

Grievance #4: Left Turn Lanes, Part II
We have found ourselves on many occasions where we are first in the left turn lane waiting for the green turn arrow.  While we wait, cars from the cross traffic turn left passing us by, or more like skimming or clipping or basically almost hitting us.  I don't understand it, it's not like a Corolla is invisible right? I mean the car is white, which is a complete contrast to the black asphalt making it more visible right?  I would think that a person driving would try to avoid us.  I'm glad that we haven't been hit yet. (In this picture we would be the red car)

In conclusion, the horn has been used more in the past few months here than all of last year in AZ.  Also, these phenomena only seem to happen with cars endowed with Utah plates. Coincidence? We think not!  We are happy to say, that we will be keeping our Arizona plates and driving techniques while we are here.

Thankfully still alive in Provo,
Johnathan and Alex

3 comments:

Kara said...

Girl, I know what you mean! Unfortunately, since we bought a new car here we were forced to get Utah plates. I cried when our Arizona plates were taken off our old car :( So I need your email address so I can invite you to our blog!!

Kara

Erich and Katie said...

ALEX!!! I have been trying to track you down? Where in Provo do you live? are you going to BYU too? We need to catch up, lets do something soon! Dinner, games?? we are up for anything, but needs to be sooner than later! We move back in December!

kelsey said...

I haven't spent much time in Provo, but the pedestrian killers are one thing I can relate to. I think I've given a dirty look or two to drivers who come far too close to walkers for my comfort. It's a different world, be careful.